MISSION UPDATE DAY 1

There's no other way to say it. The UNITE mission trip has been nothing short of Spirit-led. When we made the last minute switch from Milwaukee to Kansas, there was understandably some nervousness, some anxiety, hesitation. It seems crazy to go to a place you don't know.

You don't know the people.

You don't know what you're doing.

You might not even be totally sure where you're staying.

But the Holy Spirit provides in such incredible ways. For our first night in Kansas, we were surprised with Mass in the grotto belonging to the Community of the Lamb - a young, joy-filled, booming community of Franciscan brothers and sisters. Their monasteries and chapels were open for us to see before and after, and everyone was stunned by the noble simplicity. Some girls even mentioned their desire to learn more about religious life! Mass - which was the celebration of the Nativity of John the Baptist - lasted way longer than even a Sunday liturgy, but not one student seemed to mind. All remained prayerful and engaged. Father's homily was a perfect start to our week of service, based on John the Baptist's words about Christ: "He must increase, I must decrease."

Our first day of service, we drove to Lawrence, KS, where a wall of tornadoes devastated several homes. Here's what some of the students have thought, in their own words:

What were you expecting coming into the UNITE Trip?
"I don't know... obviously some sort of service, but I don't really know what. I was thinking some kind of manual labor, but I don't know exactly what."

"Church and work"

"I wasn't expecting to get anything in particular but having a good time with friends. then the time got closer, and I started praying: "God, help me get something from this... help me to stay humble... help me to serve well.""

"I was kind of expecting it to be a lot more like home, but the poverty and the need is just so much more apparent here."

How has the trip actually been?
"So far it's gone pretty well - the first day was hectic to say the least. The highlight was probably the Mass. It was beautiful - especially the singing. After Mass, we got to see the shrine and the sisters explained all the images. It was beautiful and unexpected."

"When we went to the Cathedral in Kansas City this morning for Mass we got to look around the main church, and we saw 3 relics behind the altar including the true cross. Then we went to our worksite - the home of an 84 year old couple whose home was destroyed by debris. I spent the majority of the day searching the fields for debris and then helping others take down a fence in the yard so it could be repaired."

"I was expecting it to be a lot more like home, but the city is really a lot different than what I'm used to. The windows have bars, and a lot of homes are run down. The service sites are in the country, and seeing the devastation really helps me put things in perspective. It's kind of opening my eyes to what Jesus calls us to do - to go out to those who need it more than we do. I know there's people like that at home, but seeing it in a concentrated form really helps me see it intensely."

"Seeing all the destruction reminded me that nothing is as permanent as it seems - that what matters most is being close to Jesus."

"I really loved when we went to Mass at the Grotto of the Community of the Lamb in Kansas City. I wasn't expecting the level of music we saw, and it was amazing to see such intense reverence in the middle of the city. Getting to meet the sisters and hear their stories made everything even more special."

Written by Brian Kusek (Coordinator of Youth Ministry, St. Francis of Assisi)

Comments

  1. The mass sounded so beautiful. What a blessed experience. Love hearing about God's work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment